Books by Ernie Pyle
compiled by Professor Owen V. Johnson
Ernie Pyle was the author of five books. All of them were based on his columns, although the columns were edited in such a way that the books read like books.
- Ernie Pyle in England (New York: R.M. McBride & Co., 1941)
- Here Is Your War (New York: Henry Holt, 1943). This was published in Dutch as Zoo was de mensch (The Hague: Zuid-Hollandsche uig. mij, 1948). The book was published in French in two editions in New York for distribution in France (New York: Overseas Editions, 1944 & 1945). A shortened version, which served as the basis for a movie on Pyle’s life, came out in Italian as La Storia del Soldato Joe (Rome: Cosmopolita, 1945.
- Brave Men (New York: Henry Holt, 1944). This book was republished in 2001 and is currently in print from the University of Nebraska Press. It also appeared in Dutch as Dappere Kerels (The Hague: Zuid-Hollandsche uig. mij, 1948), in Japanese as Yukan na hitobito (Tokyo: Maki Shobohon Yakushitsu, 1950), and in Chinese as Yong shi men (Chongqing: Zhong wai chu ban she, 1945). It came out in Czech as Stateční muži (Prague: Sfinx, 1947)
- Last Chapter (New York: Henry Holt, 1946). It also appeared in Dutch as Het laatste hoofdstuk (The Hague: Zuid-Hollandsche uig. mij, 1948). Czech translations appeared as Poslední kapitola (Prague: Sfinx, 1948) and Poslední kapitola války v Pacifiku (Litvínov: Dialog, 1998). A Japanese translation is available as Saigo no sho (Tokyo: Seijisha, 1950)
- (A combined Chinese translation of Here is Your War and Last Chapter was published as Da zhan sui jun ji (Taibei: Zheng zhong shu ju, 1958).)
- Home Country (New York: William Sloane Associates, 1947)
- David Nichols has edited two books of Pyle’s columns, with each book having its own introduction: Ernie’s War: The Best of Ernie Pyle’s World War II Dispatches (New York: Random House, 1986); and Ernie’s America: The Best of Ernie Pyle’s 1930s Travel Dispatches (New York: Random House, 1989). Ernie’s War also was published in a Japanese version: Ânî no sensô (Tokyo: JICC syuppankyoku, 1990).
In addition, two more limited circulation books of Pyle writing have been published:
- Ernie Pyle’s Southwest (Palm Desert, California: Desert-Southwest, Inc., 1965)
- On A Wing & A Prayer: The Aviation Columns of Ernie Pyle (Dana, Indiana: Friends of Ernie Pyle, 1995)
Several shorter collections of Pyle’s work about specific locations or groups have been published.