The Media School

Archive for ‘Community & Culture’

COVID-19 creates a new normal for reporting

March 25th, 2021 No comments

Reporting during the COVID-19 pandemic has been difficult for many journalists, but my firsthand experience brought challenges I had not anticipated.

One outcome of reporting in person during this pandemic is I became more aware of my own health anxiety. Approaching people for an interview did not seem daunting, until I was doing it.

Read More

A new reporter faces the challenges of journalism

As a new reporter, being out in the field is challenging. What stories are new and exciting? Where can I find people that want to be interviewed? 

Coronavirus has been a challenge for many reporters. It is difficult to conduct face-to-face interviews, capture photos, and attend events when we are told to keep our distance from one another. 
 But another challenge is what has come from this distancing. People are less comfortable around strangers. Myself included. 

Read More

The pandemic has made laptops a reporter’s best friend

At the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, I was a breaking news reporter at the Indiana Daily Student. During the first weeks I wrote constantly about how the virus was affecting IU and its students, but it took a long time for me to realize the way I was going to conduct interviews was going to change. 

Before this, I usually did interviews in person; in offices, in comma areas, even in student’s homes a few times. I came to realize that while Zoom interviews are similar to the real thing, it was clear things were different, and I had to make accommodations.

Read More

COVID-19 introduces new challenges to journalists

Beginning as a reporter only a semester ago, I had only minimal experience of the process before the COVID-19 pandemic. The pandemic causes challenges for the journalism community not only because of underlying health issues, but also because of the social shift due to COVID.

It has become more accepted to conduct interviews online due to the circumstance, but this can limit the comfortability of a face to face response from interviewees.

Last week as I traveled to campus to interview students, I noticed that social tensions were high. Of the nearly 10 people I approached to ask a few questions, only […]

Read More

IU students adjust to hybrid learning and weekly COVID-19 mitigation testing

March 11th, 2021 No comments

Some IU Bloomington students believe the weekly mitigation testing is important and others believe it is over the top. Overall, students are happy to be back in the classroom even if it’s only part time.
Why it matters: For Hybrid learning to continue going smoothly, IU Bloomington takes the necessary precautions to ensure safety for all.

Read More

Concern building about graduating and finding work for IU students

A growing concern is building among IU students, about entering a world where the labor economy is so uncertain and finding work has never been more difficult, that were interviewed at the Showalter Fountain on Feb. 25th.

Why it matters: COVID-19 has meant consistent uncertainty and future IU graduates are wary of the potential consequences of not being able to find the full-time employment they’d desire.  

Read More

IU students’ civic habits have changed since the pandemic, voting and shopping from home.

March 11th, 2021 No comments

The COVID-19 pandemic has affected some of the most normal routines, such as shopping and voting, according to three IU students interviewed at Teter Quad and Memorial Stadium. 

What’s happening: Vaccines are being introduced across Indiana, cases are dropping in Monroe County and local businesses are lifting restrictions on capacity and indoor activities. However, some routines have been permanently altered. 

Read More

On The Beat Newsletter – Community & Culture

February 25th, 2021 No comments

THE COVID-SNIFFING DOGS KEEPING FLORIDIANS SAFE  

Feb. 11, 2021 

Selene San Felice, Axios 

Yet again, our four-legged furry friends are here to save the day! Meet Mac, Hubble, Cobra and One-Betta the four canines who can sniff out COVID-19 odors.  The dogs have been serving all over the state of Florida including the campus of Florida International University. 

Read More